Tuesday, June 15, 2010

South African Stories: Stephen on Location

Our "Senior South African Correspondent", Stephen Craig, is on the ground in South Africa and he's been checking in with updates for us. Stephen is a member of American Outlaws: Austin Chapter.

June 8th - Leaving the U.S.


We got to the airport and zipped through security. Got to chat up the ladies at the Continental counter and talked about the World Cup. One of the ladies was from Manchester so she really like the “Yanks vs Wanks” shirt I was wearing. Talked to two more gents in the security line and they both said they were jealous.

Is it wrong to say, “ I’m glad I’m the one that is going” and not the one that says, “Man, I wish I could go…I know this guy…”?

The airport is slow today and the beer is cold at Lefty’s. The rest of the crew should be here soon. I miss my wife and kiddo but I am taking the Coast Guard approach and am going to try to put them out of my mind. It sound a little cold but over my life I’ve learned that it is something I have to do to concentrate on the plan/job at hand. I hope to be able to Skype with them as often as I have time so it should be all good.

Next stop…Frankfurt.

June 10th - Germany

Frankfurt a day later. We got in with no problems. We were a little worried about the weather but it was all good. We all got to sit in business/first class so it was really nice. It makes you think how all the others afford it! Maybe its frequent flyer miles.

We had a layover for about 8 hours so Nigel talked us into heading into town by train. I’m glad he did. He is a more adventurous traveler and has no fear. We found the right train and a Pakistani guy helped us out. We still think it was a scam in some way but it got us there.

We stopped in the same station that we were in during the 2006 World Cup where we had to stop there for a few hours overnight and slept on the floor. It was cool to see it again. I’m told it is the second largest iron structure in Europe after the Eiffel Tower.

We walked down a way and found an Irish bar and had some food and drinks. We met a guy and his buddy and chatted them up. He was from New York, but he had lived in Germany and Europe for 15 years. He seemed a little rough around the edges and the dried blood in his nose told me this guy partied hard. He might have been the type of guy to pat you on the back now and knock you out later in the night and take your cash.

We made it back to the airport and got on our flight. The NY guy told us we needed to talk to someone about getting our money back for being charged for Business class, but getting a coach seat. Efandiar led the charge and argued with the lady at the South Africa Airways window for some time and we decided to cut our losses and just get on the plane. While sitting on our coach seats a lady came up to Esfan and I and said that we are changing seats and to go to first class. They also told this to Nigel, but there was only one seat. He gave it to Kellie and was a trooper and sat with the untouchables.

Living the high life in first-class.

First class is some amazing shit. Too bad I picked up a cold that is still with me today so it was very hard to sleep. We got to Joberg and was only slightly delayed by weather. Stepping off the plane to 45-50 degree weather was quite a change. It felt great after sweating for the last 24 hours because that is what I do.

Rob (half of our hosts) picked us up at the airport and after we got our SIM cards for our phones and our WC tickets we arrived a short while later at Owl’s Loft Midrand. It is truly beautiful and you get a wild feeling about it, like it is still untamed. Lots of blacks but not many whites out here. Just so much different from Austin. We have been napping and eating and relaxing in this great little spot. I hope to get my clock going soon so I can sleep. The next few days will be an adventure.

The crib.
June 12th - Game Day

Here we are on game day. As soon as I saw the sun hit the curtains in the room I popped out of bed and thought I was late...It was 8am. We don’t leave for Sandton until around 10 or so. Nigel made it to the South Africa vs Mexico game with the Mexican fans that are staying here and he said it was great.

We took it easy and just watched the games here and enjoyed a fantastic braai. I will do my best to get everyone caught up on the trip to Rustenberg tomorrow. The English Terry and Terry (son and father) are already saying it is going to be 10-0 England. I am hoping for a big US win!

We got a ride into Sandton and it was really nice. Mandela square is high end and big money. We hung out at one of the cafés and drank some cold beers and met other fans. Nigel was able to get some good photos as well as myself. We met the rest of the 350+ bus riders and loaded on to one of 5 buses and one small bus. We tried not to drink too much as we knew that Rustenberg was going to be a good 3 hour drive +/-. We where able to stop a couple of times for piss breaks. We used the sink so it helped people move though faster.

Roadside potty-time.

Representing AO: Austin (with fellow Austinite Neil)

We finally get to the stadium and it is literally in the middle of fucking no where. We have to drive through a little town that is more shanty town but everyone was having a good time and the locals where super friendly. Our bus was able to park close so it was not too bad of a walk at all.

The battlefield.

We all shouted at the English and they walked past the bus before we got out. It was good stuff. Nigel, Kellie and I worked our way into the stadium and crammed down a couple of beers before heading to our seats. We got to them about an hour early but it was fun to watch the people walk in and beer was readily available. It is easier to show photos than describe everything we saw.
The bottom line is we tied the game which was a big deal for the US. The trip back was long and Kellie and I were separated from Nigel but after some walking back and forth we finally found the bus. I mad the comment that the bus was not going to smell so fresh on the way back to Sandton and I am afraid I was correct. Wow, it was like a locker room after a Mexican buffet session. We got back to Sandton at about 3am and we were back at the lodge at 4am.

Nigel, AO VP Justin Brunken, Stephen, and Zach

June 13th - The Day After

Well, we survived. The trip to Rustenberg and back

certainly wore us out but it was worth it. All the Brits where talking major shit before and during the game and after they just made excuses. Pathetic. The draw is a good outcome for us and Altidore almost gave us the lead. That would have been something else.

Woke up at 10am and Esfandiar, Nick and I headed to the small airport and got a car to rent. It seemed to be the smart thing to do so we can get around the area. It is only about 120 bucks each for the whole time. I wish it had more than two squirrels for power.

June 13th Continued - Police!

On the way home we got pulled over at a police check point. I asked the lady what we did wrong. She asked for my drivers license and passport. She then asked me for 1200 Rand for a fine for not having an international license. I had Esfandiar call our host while I spoke to the lady. She explained that I, as a white, did not understand her job and that I needed to pay the fine right there. I told her to give me something in writing first and then I would take it to the magistrate and I would pay it there. After a little back and forth over the next 15 mins she let us go. I’m sure she thought she could get a fine out of the next person.

June 13th Continued - Grass Fire!

We got home and shortly thereafter Nigel, Kellie, Nick and Esfandiar headed into town for a little fun. I was having a beer and watching the games on the TV when I saw Rob (our host) running back and forth. I asked what the problem was and he said a fire was coming.

You have to remember that the whole lodge has a thatched roof and there is tall grass surrounding everything and it is the dry time of the year. I asked if Rob needed help and he said yes. We ran out into the fields with the workers and soon the British guys, Ken, Terry and Terry Jr came out too. They do not have volunteer firefighters in the country so its kind of everyman for himself unless you have good neighbors. We used some flat rubber squares on posts and used them to beat the fire out. It took us almost 2 hours, 8 people and a pair of tennis shoes that are now black to put it out. I would suggest wearing jeans to keep from burning your legs. I have an after photo of my legs. It was pretty crazy but quite fun and a good work out.

Grass fire. The white fence is the property edge of the place Stephen and company are staying at.

I’ll send this bit out and send more soon. TIA---this is Africa they say.



Bookmark and ShareSupport the Movement. Get the Free Beer Movement T-Shirt. Only from Objectivo.com

1 comment:

  1. Damn good read, please keep up the correspondence. And Free Beer Movement- send him some bribe money so we can continue to get onsite updates. Thanks and go USA!

    ReplyDelete

"Anyone who tells me soccer is boring, I'm going to punch them in the face."
- Former Dallas Burn (aka FC Dallas) coach Dave Dir

Thanks for leaving a comment!