Friday, June 17, 2011

The Greatest Story We've EVER Heard

Get the colors.
This story was told to me by a friend inspired by our post "The Great Jersey Question: Buy American".

From Matt C.:

"So last night (Tuesday) I was at the US game versus Guadeloupe at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park and I was having a smoke outside. There I saw a guy wearing a Brazil jersey and so I walked up to him and told him that if he'd take the jersey off and throw it away I'd buy him a US shirt.
The guy just looked at me and laughed.
I left, went over to one of the stands selling gear and bought a U.S. Gold Cup shirt and went back over to the guy.
I said,  'Take off that shirt, spit on it, and throw it away. Put this on.'
He took it off, spit on it, and threw it in the garbage and I told him 'I don't ever want to see you not wearing our colors again.'
Then I just walked away."
Now obviously that's an extreme example of making the change to support our national team over a national team that we have little connection to, but good on Matt for being proactive and taking charge. And also, kudos to the guy for making a tough choice, but the right choice to sport the colors of his country over another one.

As we've said before and we'll say again... it takes more soccer fans in American to become American soccer fans to grow this sport and, as Matt and the guy that changed colors proved, every little bit helps.

Get the NEW Free Beer Movement "Pint Glass" shirt! Only from Objectivo.com

3 comments:

  1. Wow, wouldn't have done such an aggressive gesture, but glad it ended well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, you are a BADASS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not aggressive that's assertive. Assertion comes from confidence. Kudos KC bros.

    ReplyDelete

"Anyone who tells me soccer is boring, I'm going to punch them in the face."
- Former Dallas Burn (aka FC Dallas) coach Dave Dir

Thanks for leaving a comment!