Friday, September 10, 2010

Going Suds Up: The Best Beers, The Best Soccer


By Kirsten Schlewitz / Senior West Coast Beer and Aston Villa Correspondent

With the exception of 4pm on a Wednesday afternoon, when FSC made a crazy decision to once again show the LA Galaxy/Real Madrid friendly, fall seems to be an excellent time to be a soccer fan in America. If you’re like me and have absolutely no desire to watch that other form of football, just stay out of the bars and you’ll be golden.

And if you’re ignoring that great American tradition of Saturday and/or Sunday gridiron watching (or even if you’re not, but merely supplementing your soccer watching) you must also put aside the tradition of drinking tasteless, sticky sweet, over-chilled “beer” and reach for something befitting the games that you’ll be watching.

I won’t be promoting the U.S. games this week though, mostly because Chicago v Philly bores me, I know almost nothing about WPS, and the rest of the games are stuck on Direct Kick. So the match of the week goes to…Napoli v Bari, on Sunday at 1:30PM CT on FSC. I’m a big fan of the partenopei, particularly Marek Hamšík, and am quite excited that I can watch them on the big screen for the first time this season(even if Hamšík close-ups are a bit scary).

So raise a glass to Napoli, and fill it with Boulevard Brewing Co. Bourbon Aged Quad (BBQ). Perhaps it’s just the Northwest, but the last week has been quite chilly. This beer will warm you right up. It smells delicious, of brown sugar, chocolate, cherries and bourbon. The taste is much the same, with a very nice tart cherry finish. Best of all, the 11.8% ABV will leave you ready for a lovely Sunday nap after the match.

I’d give you a second match, but I made the mistake of drinking half a glass of this stuff while writing this recommendation, and that was enough to make the screen slightly blurry. If that’s not a good reason to recommend, I don’t know what is!

About Kirsten:

Ever since Brazil caught my eye during the 1994 World Cup I’ve considered myself a soccer fan, but it wasn’t until the summer 2008 that I decided to find a club. I focused on the Premier League and eventually chose Aston Villa. Initially drawn in by the pretty clarets and blues, I found I liked their organization, their owner and their manager. I fell hard and now it’s too late—I can’t give them up. As for MLS, that was easy, as I live in Seattle. I also support Exeter FC, SSC Napoli, FC Koln, Estudiantes Tecos and Tooting & Mitcham FC, all for a variety of reasons including cider, tattoos, scarves, owls, and a soccer player texting while on the pitch. I’m the Managing Editor of SB Nation’s Aston Villa site, 7500 to Holte. I also contribute to Two Footed Tackle.

Support the Movement. Get the Free Beer Movement T-Shirt. Only from Objectivo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Anyone who tells me soccer is boring, I'm going to punch them in the face."
- Former Dallas Burn (aka FC Dallas) coach Dave Dir

Thanks for leaving a comment!