Friday, August 6, 2010

Going Suds Up: The Best Soccer, The Best Beers

By Kirsten Schlewitz / Senior West Coast Beer and Aston Villa Correspondent

Everyone, crack open a beer in my honor this weekend, because I finally—finally—get FSC. I realize that the majority of people watch the soccer on their computers, through live feeds, but when your primary computer is less than twelve inches across, and you also have no internet in your apartment, the computer is rather useless in watching matches. So a glass to Comcast for installing my link to the outside world, unless you see me tweeting about how Comcast didn’t show. I will be celebrating by watching the Community Shield on Sunday morning, but here are the other matches I’ll be watching, and what I just might be drinking with them:

Saturday: Toronto v Chivas USA, 3PM CT, Telefutura

This match, between two clubs that, let’s face it, aren’t very good, will take place at what is the middle of the day for most of the country. And considering most of the country is experiencing summer (even if some of us still have to wear sweaters in the morning), what better to recommend than a pilsner, that glorious pale beer that American pales are supposedly modeled upon? While the uninspiring play of these teams might leave your mind so muddled that you’d be reaching for a Budweiser, keep your wits about you and grab something on the next level:

Victory Prima Pils: Pours a pale gold with off white head and some lacing. Smells faintly of caramel at first, but as it warms an earthy, grapefruit aroma emerges. Tastes fresh of citrus and finishes on a bitter grapefruit.

Sunday: Dallas v Philadelphia, 5PM CT, FSC


Another match between two teams I don’t much care for. Something about Dallas just rubs me the wrong way, and Philly has Danny Califf. But when weighing the pros and cons, the Union win, due to the fact that I find value in their supporters. So to them, I apologize, because this beer match may be a bit mean:

Lagunitas Lucky 13: An American strong ale, or possibly a red, maybe even a barleywine. Perhaps it’s trying to be too many things at once. Palate was a bit syrupy and sticky. Aromas of malts, earthy hops and alcohol. Nothing subtle in the nose nor in the taste. Malt and alcohol predominate, with a bit of hop and florals in the background. This beer, however, is quite strong, with its 8.6% ABV all set to knock you on your a**

About Kirsten:

Ever since Brazil caught my eye during the 1994 World Cup I’ve considered myself a soccer fan, but it wasn’t until the summer 2008 that I decided to find a club. I focused on the Premier League and eventually chose Aston Villa. Initially drawn in by the pretty clarets and blues, I found I liked their organization, their owner and their manager. I fell hard and now it’s too late—I can’t give them up. As for MLS, that was easy, as I live in Seattle. I also support Exeter FC, SSC Napoli, FC Koln, Estudiantes Tecos and Tooting & Mitcham FC, all for a variety of reasons including cider, tattoos, scarves, owls, and a soccer player texting while on the pitch. I’m the Managing Editor of SB Nation’s Aston Villa site, 7500 to Holte. I also contribute to Two Footed Tackle.

Support the Movement. Get the Free Beer Movement T-Shirt. Only from Objectivo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Anyone who tells me soccer is boring, I'm going to punch them in the face."
- Former Dallas Burn (aka FC Dallas) coach Dave Dir

Thanks for leaving a comment!