Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Bubba Likes Free Beer: Free Beer Movement in Action

We hate to dredge up any lingering bad memories of the USMNT's run in South Africa (Ghana? Whaaaa?) so we'll turn the ol' memory machine a bit further back to the epic Algeria match and the post-game euphoria that transpired.

None other than former President Bill Clinton was in attendance at the match and took the opportunity to visit with the boys in the locker room.

Clinton, a soccer newbie, declared his relative ignorance of the sport, but admitted that he's really enjoying it:
"I'm still learning. … I knew nothing about soccer until I went to school in England," he said, referring to his days at Oxford from 1968 to 1970, then adding, "I've fallen in love with soccer at my very advanced age."
Enter USMNT captain, and all-around hunk, Carlos Bocanegra to do the Free Beer Movement's legwork.

Clinton, again:
“They said, ‘Hang around until we finish all this and drink a beer with us. Nobody ever does that.’ And so I said O.K. So I stayed for like an hour-and-a-half or something. It was amazing.”
For Bocanegra it was a pretty big moment:
“Former President Clinton came in the locker room afterwards and had a few beers with us. And that was probably the highlight of my life. I’m not gonna lie. That was pretty sweet.”
And, as we've proven time and time again, free beer works as President Clinton re-arranged his schedule to stick around in South Africa to catch the (ultimately) heart-breaking Ghana match.

He even brought his own guest, FBM-style.


Former President Bill Clinton....probably our highest profile convert yet!

Bookmark and ShareSupport the Movement. Get the Free Beer Movement T-Shirt. Only from Objectivo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Anyone who tells me soccer is boring, I'm going to punch them in the face."
- Former Dallas Burn (aka FC Dallas) coach Dave Dir

Thanks for leaving a comment!